Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Trouble's on the Menu--Book Review

Hi friends! I'm going to be posting my book review articles on my blog. If you have any creative comments about my writing, let me know!

Brittany’s book review: Trouble’s on the menu - proves interesting

By Brittany Wilkerson
Uintah Basin Standard

I love curling up on the
couch with a blanket and a
good book. Even better is
when it is actually cold and
snowing, which it isn’t. At
the moment it is sweltering
outside, which, sadly, isn’t
very conducive to a blanket at
the moment. So I was fortunate
enough to happen upon a book
that made me feel like it was
blizzarding outside!

“Trouble’s on The Menu: A
Tippy Canoe Romp” by Caleb
Warnock and Betsy Schow,
released April 2013, takes
place in a small Montana town
where it is cold enough to curl
up with two blankets to read a
book!

Upon her estranged husband’s
death, Hallie Stone
finds herself in Tippy Canoe,
Mont., where her goal is to
settle his accounts and be in
and out as soon as possible.
Hallie ends up staying longer
than she planned when the
town mayor starts taking an
interest in her and then things
don’t go as expected. But when
everything starts going awry
she has to decide whether to
stay and help out or head for
home in a hurry!

“Trouble’s on the Menu: A
Tippy Canoe Romp” was a fun
and easy read. I was able to get
into it right away and wanted
to keep reading.

I enjoyed all the characters,
with the exception of the villian.
Their personalities were
varied and kept things interesting-
especially Ula!

My favorite part of the
book is the underlying theme
of how things work out in the
craziest of ways.

My other favorite part of
the book is the recipes in the
back. Some of the food in the
book sounded so delicious that
I wanted to give them a try and
now I don’t have to hunt down
the recipes!

This book would make a
great book club selection. It’s
a quick read, appropriate for
all ages and offers a few great
topics of discussion.

Warnock is the original author
of “Troubles on the Menu:
A Tippy Canoe Romp.” When
he asked his writing students to
read and comment on the first
chapter, Schow had so many
great ideas, that he asked her to
help co-author it with him.

Warnock has written three
other books. You can read
more about him and his books
by visiting calebwarnock.
blogspot.com/.

Schow lives in Alpine,
Utah. This is her second novel.
The first, “Finished Being Fat”
was published January of this
year. She has a young adult
fiction novel set to be released
sometime in the future.

Schow hopes readers “take
‘Troubles on the Menu’ for
what it is and enjoy it. Enjoy
the ride. If I’ve made you
laugh for a couple of minutes
then I’ve done my job.”
For more information about
Schow visit www.betsyschow.
com.

“Troubles on the Menu: A
Tippy Canoe Romp” can be
purchased online at Amazon.
com and BarnesandNoble.com
and at Cedar Fort Publishing.

Editor’s Note: The Uintah
Basin Standard has donated
a copy of “Troubles on the
Menu: A Tippy Canoe Romp”
by Caleb Warnock and Betsy
Schow to the Roosevelt Library

No comments:

Post a Comment