Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I'm famous!

I write book review articles for the two newspapers out here and they ran an article about me writing articles! How about that! So just in case you  need to hear more amazing things about me today I've included the article for your enjoyment :)

Uintah Basin Standard

Wilkerson includes author interviews with every book review


By John Plestina

jplestina@ubmedia.biz

 With 12 book reviews
published in the Uintah Basin
Standard and Vernal Express
since December 2012 to her
credit, Brittany Wilkerson
plans many more, and maybe
future books with her name as
the author on the cover.

 It began with the two local
newspapers asking Wilkerson
to read and review books.

 Wilkerson reads an average
of one book per week, usually
250-300 words each.

 “I can read that in one day,”
she said.

 The reviews have not been
every week.

 “This month, I’m trying to
do four,” Wilkerson said.

 She chooses the books she
is going to read and review.
They must be new releases
and must be written by Utah
authors.

 “If a book is a new
release and it’s by a
Utah author, I always
like to have people
recommend them to
me,” Wilkerson said.

 “All of the books
are clean and young
adult type. That’s what
I’d rather read,” she
said.

 Two upcoming
reviews are of books
written by local authors.


 “The next book I
am reviewing is called
“Checking Out” by
Clair M. Poulson,” she
said.

 Poulson was born
and raised in Duchesne,
is a former
Duchesne County
sheriff and currently
serves as justice court
judge for Duchesne
County.

 “He will be at the Uintah
County Library in Vernal next
Thursday (Aug. 15). I will be
going to interview him and to
get his book signed so that we
can give it away in a contest of
some sort,” Wilkerson said.

 Another upcoming review
is of “Stung,” a book by
Bethany Wiggins of Vernal.

 The interviews and reviews
of the books by Poulson and
Wiggins are the first two books
by Uintah Basin authors that
Wilkerson will review.

 Her favorite author is Brandon
Sanderson. He teaches at
Brigham Young University.

 One thing that sets Wilkerson
aside from some other
book reviewers is she always
interviews the author.

 “That’s fun. I always enjoy
doing that,” she said.

 Being an avid reader and
writing book reviews begs the
question of whether Wilkerson
envisions herself as an author.

 “I don’t know. I’ve thought
about it. I came to a conclusion
that if I write a book it will be
non-fiction,” Wilkerson said.
“Cody (her husband) really
wants me to.”

 “I have always thought
about writing my own book,
but I just can’t come up with
enough of a story to write one,
especially an ending. As I’ve
been writing these reviews,
I’ve realized that I could
actually write a non-fiction
book if it was something I was
passionate and knowledgeable
about,” Wilkerson said.

 She said authors she has
interviewed have encouraged
her to write and to consider
publishing an e-book.

 “Cindy Bennett is an
author I interviewed who has
a few books that she has self-
published. Carole Rummage
is another author I interviewed
who told me she was 60 when
she wrote her first book. She
was encouraged by a group of
authors she met regularly with.
She had no idea how her book
was going to end but it ended
up writing itself. That made
me start thinking that perhaps
I could write a fiction novel,”
Wilkerson said.

 She said talking to authors
encourages and inspires her.

 Wilkerson said she must
feel passionate about what she
is writing about and wants to
write something that would
help someone.

 She has written two short
unpublished books to help
friends. They are, “How To
keep Your Child Alive For
The First Three Months”
and “Dedication, Determination,
Communication and No
French Kissing,” a short book
Wilkerson wrote for a friend.

 “The title came about when
she (the friend) was dating
her husband and she asked
me how Cody and I managed
to stay good and make it to
the temple,” Wilkerson said,
adding that she told her friend
she should consider dedication,
determination, communication
and no French kissing. The
friend suggested that she write
a book and she did.

 Wilkerson grew up in
Taylorsville and has lived in
Roosevelt for two years. Her
husband, Cody, grew up in
Roosevelt and works for the
Uintah Basin Standard. They
have a daughter, Elise, 1.

 The Uintah Basin Standard
and Vernal Express donates
every book Wilkerson reviews
to the Roosevelt Library.

 All of Wilkerson’s reviews
appear in both newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment