Sunday, January 10, 2016

Planning to Fail

Lately I've been thinking about the saying "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." I've been mainly applying it to my health and fitness goals and a little bit with how I manage getting my kids out the door. This morning I realized that I had planned to fail my Sabbath.

Since the First Presidency said that we need to improve our Sabbath observance I have been making it a point to have the house clean Saturday, which makes a huge difference in my Sabbath Day. Last week we changed from 1 pm church to 9 am church. We were very excited about this time change and that week I was determined to get to church on time. That night when I went to bed the house was clean, everyone's church clothes were laid out, the diaper bag was ready and breakfast preparations were on the counter. I was ready! I'd even gone to bed on time. That Sunday morning went smoothly and we enjoyed the day.

This morning I realized that I hadn't prepared for the Sabbath. Other than thinking that my house was messier than I wanted it to be when I went to bed the thought of preparing hadn't even crossed my mind, I even went to bed way later than I should have. This morning was far from pleasant. It was rushed and stressful and full of regrets. In just one week I had gotten casual and let it slip.

Today we had ward conference and despite my far from spiritual morning I felt like I was swimming in the spirit the whole three hours. President Staker talked about the Sabbath. In Sacrament meeting he talked about what he does on Sundays to make his Sabbath more meaningful. He then expounded on that topic in Sunday School with the help of his wife. I am so grateful for what I learned.

President Staker talked about doing something to renew his spirit on the Sabbath, he also talked about making the Sabbath different from the other days of the week. Sister Staker talked about finding rest on the Sabbath. She said that rest in the worldly sense was to physically rest, but rest in the spiritual sense is to draw closer to God. Meaning on the Sabbath we need to do those things that will draw us closer to God, and that will allow us to Rest in Him. I also learned that it's okay to have simple meals on Sunday but that we shouldn't hide from our children on the Sabbath, we should make it a family day.

I knew that I needed to abstain from certain activities on the Sabbath but what I hadn't thought of was adding wholesome activities to my day. I have been wondering what else I can do with my Sabbath day to help prepare me for the coming week. I need to make the day different, so that I can find the rest in Him that will help revitalize me for the coming six days.

I am so grateful for the Sabbath. I am grateful for a day that I can block out the world and focus on my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment