Sunday, September 14, 2014

Because of the easiness of the way...


The other day I was complaining to a dear friend that it would be nice if something was easy for once! I had gotten my hopes up, thought it would be and then, of course, was sorely disappointed. I had thought this same thought to myself a few times but when I voiced--or rather texted--that thought about easiness to someone else, a phrase started running through my head: "Because of the easiness of the way..." After I heard it a few times, and admitted that I was being taught something, I started to search through the scripture stories in my head to place the phrase. I wasn't sure which part of the scriptures it was in but I knew that the way being easy wasn't a good thing.

After searching the actual scriptures I found the phrase in Alma 37:46. "...do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way..." The verse was referring to when the people of Israel were attacked by poisonous serpents in the wilderness and some of them wouldn't look at the snake on the staff and be healed because it was too easy.

The Pride Cycle is seen many times in the Book of Mormon. God's people follow the commandments, the prosper, then the start to get prideful and then they fall away.

So while easy is...well, easy, it's not always the best thing. I know that when things are going well I have to work harder and be intentional about reading my scriptures and making my prayers meaningful and inviting the Spirit into my day.

Along with those easy times I have known difficult times. I have had to wait and work for a lot of things in my life. I have known heartache and frustration.

Before I had Elise I had a miscarriage. It was hard to get pregnant that first time and even more difficult to get pregnant with Elise. And then I was on bed rest with Elise hoping that I wouldn't miscarry again. That was the hardest thing I have ever been through. The way to having Elise was the longest, most painful and most difficult way I have every traveled.

But I would never take it back.

Because of the difficulty of the way...

I came to know God.
I learned patience, faith, hope and trust in my Heavenly Father.
I learned that He does have a plan for me and it is better than I could ever dream to imagine.
I learned that His timing is worth waiting for, no matter how much I hate the waiting.
I became stronger, emotionally and spiritually.
I learned a lot about God, myself and about getting pregnant.
I learned empathy.
I learned that everyone's story and experience is different.
I learned that I can get through anything with the Lord.
I learned that He wants me to be happy, and for that purpose he gives me tender mercies every day.
I learned that there is a purpose for what happens, no matter how bad it is.
I learned the blessings of tithing.
I learned to prepare.
I learned to make the most of the time spent waiting.
I learned to cherish 1 Nephi.
I learned that things will work out if I do all I can and have faith.
I learned that God fulfills His promises.

If the way had been easy I wouldn't have learned any of that. So I can say with sincerity that I would not give that trial away. It is mine, along with all of the blessings I received along the way. I still enjoy those blessings to this day.

That doesn't mean that I want things to be hard, I really wish they would be easy! But at least when hard times comes I know what to do and I know that I can do it. All I have to do is stop complaining, turn to God and put on my eternal perspective.

Whatever hard path you are going down, no matter how endless it looks, I know that with God you can make it through and you will be stronger and wiser for it. Trust in Him. Put your faith in Him and He will not let you down. In the end you will receive blessings far greater than you could ever have thought to ask for. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment